It's not all biscuits, butter and fried chicken down here!

My photo
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
I'm a Southern home cook with a few fancy tricks up her sleeve. It doesn't matter what's in my cabinets, dinner WILL be served, it WILL be delicious and it might just be good for you too! Cooking is all about flavors and tastes. What pairs well with each other and what doesn't. It's not rocket science! That's baking. My cooking is all about creation. Creating new flavors and recipes that are either variations on the old or completely new. All of my measurements are approximate as I do everything to taste. I encourage anyone who tries any recipe they find here to make it their own! Leave out, add to, whatever you want to do with it! If flavors and techniques weren't meant to be played with, there wouldn't be so many to choose from. Feel free to ask questions or even leave suggestions! Happy eatin' yall!

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Greatest Seasoning $1 Can Buy

As I mentioned in my last post, I've cut back or out my salt since I've changed the way I eat.  It's hard to find a good seasoning that's NOT loaded with sodium or MSG.  McCormick has a few no-salt options out there that I've found so far.  I've tried their garlic and herb version and while I liked it, I quickly learned that a LITTLE goes a LONG way! The garlic granules they use in it are huge and strong.  Liberal application highly UN-recommended.  A sprinkling however, is perfect.

While trying to find the happy medium with that and getting over the odd after-taste of salt substitute, my friend told me about a no-salt seasoning that she had found at Big Lots and couldn't stop raving about.  I was intrigued, even more so when I found out that it was only $1 as compared to the name brand stuff at $2.75 a pop.  So I picked up a bottle of it the next time I was there.

I should have gotten two or three.

It's that good.

I went back 2 weeks and an almost empty bottle later and bought two more.

That's it over there, to the left, in all of it's "best dollar I ever spent" glory.  I actually have NO clue what all is in this.  I know it's got the basics, garlic, onion and pepper. There's also some dehydrated onion and celery seeds. I don't know and almost don't care what else is in there, I just know that with this I MUST SEASON ALL THE THINGS!  I put this on my eggs, people.  Yes. Eggs.  Scrambled OR fried, it doesn't matter, it works.

Other than the fact that it's beyond amazing, it's not overpowering unless you use 1/4 of the bottle at a time.  I can use this liberally and not regret it.  My favorite application so far is on steak.  Sprinkle a little coarse salt onto a ribeye followed by a good coating of this stuff and throw it in a hot pan to sear.  -wipes drool-

If you're looking for a way to control your sodium intake AND keep/enjoy the taste of the food on your plate, this is the way to go.

We've got two different Big Lots in my area and both of them have this on a regular basis.  It's in the same aisle as the rest of the spices and obscure sauces that only Big Lots seems to find.  Go out and grab a bottle!  It's only $1!











No comments:

Post a Comment