It's not all biscuits, butter and fried chicken down here!

My photo
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
I'm a Southern home cook with a few fancy tricks up her sleeve. It doesn't matter what's in my cabinets, dinner WILL be served, it WILL be delicious and it might just be good for you too! Cooking is all about flavors and tastes. What pairs well with each other and what doesn't. It's not rocket science! That's baking. My cooking is all about creation. Creating new flavors and recipes that are either variations on the old or completely new. All of my measurements are approximate as I do everything to taste. I encourage anyone who tries any recipe they find here to make it their own! Leave out, add to, whatever you want to do with it! If flavors and techniques weren't meant to be played with, there wouldn't be so many to choose from. Feel free to ask questions or even leave suggestions! Happy eatin' yall!

Monday, September 10, 2012

"How did you make these?!" Turkey Burgers

I rarely eat ground beef anymore, I switched to ground turkey for three reasons: 1. I don't have to strain/drain grease out of the pan after I brown it.  2. It's just better for you.  3. IT'S SO MUCH CHEAPER!

"But they have extra lean ground beef now, that doesn't put off grease either."  Again, TURKEY IS SO MUCH CHEAPER.  With the way that prices are, I can buy four 1lb rolls of turkey for the price of ONE pound of ground beef.  I don't see how anyone can argue with that.  Turkey has gone from that enormous yard-bird in the middle of the table at holidays to an every day meat.  It's not just legs, wings and breasts anymore.  There's even turkey chops!  I haven't found a pack of those yet in my wally world adventures but I'm always on the lookout.  Either way, it's a much more versatile meat than it used to be and like chicken, it only has the flavor you give it.  So you're gonna have to church it up a bit first.  I church mine up to taste like steak burgers and no one is the wiser unless they see the packages or I tell them.

This recipe calls for the No-Salt seasoning discussed/reviewed in my previous post, but if you don't have that (yet) then I'm sure you can just sub in the old standbys of garlic, onion and pepper and probably get the same result. 

2lb ground turkey
1 tblsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp Montreal Style Steak Seasoning
1 tblsp Big Lots Brand No Salt Seasoning
1 tblsp Your Favorite Brand "Bold and Spicy" style steak sauce

Mix to combine ensuring all seasoning has been evenly distributed and start making your patties.  Now I caution you, these are gonna shrink up, so I would make your patties a decent size.  With these measurements I can get 4 small burgers or 2 large burgers, so adjust your meat amounts according to how many plates you're setting.

Cook these the same as you would any burger.  If at some point you find your pan to be too dry, you can totally get away with adding a little water and covering it for a minute or two.  This will not only steam your burgers but it kinda helps them cook quicker, I find.  It also helps keep them from the possibility of burning.  So if you have to walk away for a quick bit, add a little water to your pan for a safety safe.

Serve as you like and enjoy!
















No comments:

Post a Comment