It's not all biscuits, butter and fried chicken down here!

My photo
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
I'm a Southern home cook with a few fancy tricks up her sleeve. It doesn't matter what's in my cabinets, dinner WILL be served, it WILL be delicious and it might just be good for you too! Cooking is all about flavors and tastes. What pairs well with each other and what doesn't. It's not rocket science! That's baking. My cooking is all about creation. Creating new flavors and recipes that are either variations on the old or completely new. All of my measurements are approximate as I do everything to taste. I encourage anyone who tries any recipe they find here to make it their own! Leave out, add to, whatever you want to do with it! If flavors and techniques weren't meant to be played with, there wouldn't be so many to choose from. Feel free to ask questions or even leave suggestions! Happy eatin' yall!

Monday, November 7, 2011

Quickie, All day, BBQ Sauce

Confused? Thought so.  Quickie, because it's super quick to put together.  All day, because once you've added it to your meat, and allowed it to simmer into it for at least 30 minutes, it tastes like something you spent all day doing.

I found a recipe for BBQ Sauce, somewhere, IDR where, and jotted it down quickly.  I was planning to make spare ribs in a few days and I'm never satisfied with store-bought sauces.  I'm a BBQ sauce connoisseur of sorts.  It can't be too thick or too thin, and DEFINITELY CANNOT have those uber disgusting little pieces of what used to be tomato skins floating around in it.  You know what I'm talkin about! Those tiny little stick like pieces you find in some (craptastic) ketchup's, most salsa and ALL BBQ sauces? Yea, they're gross.  I know, I'm weird, but it's cool, I accept it.  Anyhow, it also has to have a good balance of sweet and tangy. This one calls for ketchup, vinegar, and brown sugar, so it already reeks of WIN. 

Naturally, I added extra stuff to it that the original didn't call for.  I wouldn't be me if I didn't, but I'm convinced that had I not have been me, I would not have fallen in love with this sauce the way that I did.


For this, you will need the following:

1 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 tblsp of light brown sugar
1 tblsp of worchestershire sauce
2 dashes of soy sauce
1 small squirt of yellow mustard
1/2 tsp of All Purpose Greek Seasoning (I won't mention names, but it's in a yellow, white and red shaker)
1/4 tsp of cajun seasoning
2 tblsp bold and spicy steak sauce (yanno, the one that you HAVE to get the last drop of)

Whisk all of this together in a bowl, and pour over whatever meat you want to make AWESOME!  Let it simmer for about 30 minutes to get that all day flavor.  Since there's some bold flavors in here, a little goes a long way.

If you would like to grill with this, I would suggest using it as a "moppin sauce."  I haven't been able to use it in that type of application, but that's my educated guess based on consistency.  I would also recommend doubling or tripling these amounts, dependent on how much you're grilling and wait till the last 10 to 15 minutes of your cook time to add it to avoid massive flare ups, sticking and just general "no buenoness". 

No comments:

Post a Comment